Saturday, 20 January 2018

D&D 5e: Dungeon Walls Update and 1000th Post

This is officially my 1000th post, imagine that :-)
This is all the wall sections I am going to make for my games of D&D 5e, I think I listed them all last time I posted on this subject, although I don't think I added in the doors I have been making, there will be 14 of those in total.

I have been using lots of odds and ends to create the door feel, to give a bit variety and I will paint some of them differently to give further variance.

The longest, 12" sections.

Doorways, using lolly sticks, matchsticks, skewers and coffee stirers.

The finished doorway and some of the wall sections and what you can do with them. No crude suggestions please. The base is the unfinished cork placemat board I was making for Frostgrave but not finished, I think the walls work well on them.

Well, there you are, my 1000th post and I have to say that I am still enjoying producing the blog and have plans for all sorts of content in the future.

I am always open to suggestions too so if you have a particular "thing/topic" you want me to make/cover then make a comment and I'll see what I can do :-)

Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Warmaster: Hold the Hill- Game 3

Having gathered his triumphant troops together on the summit of a nearby hill, MacEalar was ready to make camp and celebrate the huge victory at the ford. A feast was on.

Little did he know he was being spied from only a short way away by Paetinus and his recently rallied troops. Yes, the Roman Legions had once again proved just how hard they were to rout and now they were ready for some revenge.

Many of the Parisi lads and lasses had already had a few jars and were getting a bit raucous.

All but the Parisi light cavalry were on the hill, they held back to see what would happen.

MacEalar was by far the worse for wear, so forgot to tell the warband what he wanted them to do. He didn't even react when Paetinus managed to push 2 units of Legion to the rear of his troops on the hill.

Roman Auxiliaries charged in a bit prematurely and found themselves retreating back to the main Roman line.

Emboldened, but not getting any orders from MacEalar, his troops surged off the hill into the Roman ranks.

MacEalar, felt confident as the Parisi trap was sprung, but most of his warriors were stuck back on the hill well out of the action.

Some success, but not the destruction hoped for, that 5+ save on the Legions really helped them out.

On the hill the 2 loose Legions hit the rear and flank of the Parisi warriors, while the Auxiliaries have a go at the chariot, which MacEalar had completely forgotten he had. Beer can do that to a man.

In a n instant the battle had changed, many of the warriors had run off or slaughtered where they stood. MacEalar began to sober up, but would it be too late?

The Parisi warriors rallied and attacked.

But they lacked enough punch to finish their adversaries.

The 2 Legions on the hill started to mop up the stray Parisi warriors.

For a moment Paetinus looked as if he may be in trouble, but MacEalar dragged the Light cavalry back to help with the Legions running rampant on the hill.

A concerted attack on the last warrior unit in the Parisi warband saw them destroyed along with MacEalar who joined the warriors to give them a few extra desperate attacks and it led to his defeat. 

With MacEalar captured, his remaining troops fled the battlefield.

Paetinus gathered his troops and began to march for Calcaria, finally he had defeated his enemy, surely his commander would recognize this and commend him.

Post Game

The greatest problem that beset the Parisi was that they could not pass one command check in the first 3 turns and most of the warriors were facing away from the Romans. The Romans however had a clear view so had easy charges off their own initiative.

The big game changer was getting the Legions onto the hill behind the Parisi warriors and being able to get the drop on them, taking them out of the game.

With MacEalar captured I'm not sure how I will play the next game, but do know it will have escalated to 750 points of troops per side.

Thanks for reading, if you still are :-)

Monday, 15 January 2018

D&D 5e: Dungeon Walls

I have been experimenting recently with an alternative method of creating dungeon floor plans other than the tiles I made right at the very beginning of this blog. 

Also I was looking to create a smaller more portable set of dungeon terrain that would all fit in one small box and be easy to carry.

Three inch lengths. One inch high.

 Six inch lengths.

Small room.

Dungeon doorway, both sides.

Different shaped rooms from same group of walls.

Corridors can be created as well.

Some furniture really brings the walls to life.

I have made or am in the process of making:
12 @ 1" square
12 @ 1 1/2"
12 @ 3"
20 @ 6"
12 @ 12"

The inspiration for this came from DM Scotty and his tile system, check it out here.

Just made from an old box covered in sand basically.

As you may have noticed I haven't posted in a week this is because I have been working with Luke and really haven't had much time. I will post some pictures of what we have been making later in the week. Bare with me I'm not giving up blogging, just lacking time at the moment.